Landlords must be suitably trained and licensed to carry out letting or property management activities or arrange for a licensed letting agent to manage their properties on their behalf.

This means all letting agents in Wales need to be suitably trained and licensed, while the agencies themselves must have Client Money Protection (CMP), professional indemnity insurance, belong to an independant redress scheme and provide all of their landlord and property details. Find out more...

Have you met the training requirements?

People who deal day-to-day with tenancies, carrying out letting and management tasks, must be trained to receive a licence with Rent Smart Wales.

Here we have highlighted some of the ways you can meet the training requirements.

Propertymark Qualifications

Propertymark Qualifications' residential letting and property management qualifications are an approved accreditation for Rent Smart Wales licensing.

Top Up Module

Rent Smart Wales offer a top up module that you can take if your Propertymark Qualification did not cover the requirements of the Housing (Wales) Act 2014.

Rent Smart Wales flow chart

View our flow chart to see which routes you can take in order to meet the training requirements for Rent Smart Wales.

View more

Our involvement

Rent Smart Wales first announced a £3,728 licensing fee for agents, we branded this unfair given it did not consider the size of a letting agent business. This meant both the smallest and largest agents would be charged the same fee. Under the Freedom of Information Act, we requested an explanation as to how the Licensing Authority arrived at the £3,728 fee. 

Following our continued lobbying, Rent Smart Wales announced a new fee structure which came into effect 25 April 2016. The new graduated structure recognises the size of the business and offers a discount to ARLA Propertymark members. This offers agents a fairer fee structure which also demonstrates the benefit of professional membership.

Document download icon

Rent Smart Wales Fee Policy.pdf


Letting agents and landlords who aren't licensed could face criminal prosecution, fines, fixed-term penalty notices, rent repayment orders, rent stopping orders or the inability to issue a valid notice to regain possession. 

03 Apr 2017
Fact sheet: Rent Smart Wales

The Housing (Wales) Act 2014 became law on 17 September 2014. The aim of the Act is to improve the supply, quality and standards of housing in Wales.

Latest news

16 Jul 2021
Welsh Government opens Tenancy Hardship Grant applications

The announcement by the Minister of Climate Change Julie James MS, who also has a responsibility over housing, also marks the closure of the Tenancy Saver Loan scheme.

27 May 2021
Propertymark research adds to Lords debate on leasehold reform

As the Leasehold Reform (Ground Rent) Bill makes its way through Parliament, Propertymark’s research was used to explain why the Bill is the first step in addressing the scandal leaseholders have faced for years.

More information: