Lettings Helpline FAQs

We may already have the answer to your question. Take a look at the suite of Helpline FAQs covering the hottest topics that members have previously contacted us about. 

Can't find the answer you're looking for?

Log into the website for the Lettings Helpline number, you must be an ARLA Propertymark member to access this service.

Propertymark's exclusive Lettings Helpline service
Topics of interest
Date (year)
Displaying 31 results
13 Dec 2023
What is the difference between an EIC and an EICR?

Electrical Installation Certificates (EIC) and Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR) are documents that confirm a safety check has been completed in a privately rented property, but are used in different situations. Since April 2021, all UK landlords must have a valid EICR, but may not need an EIC unless changes have been made to hard-wired electrics.

Helpline FAQ, Dog in a box.jpg
28 Sep 2023
When is it reasonable for a landlord to refuse a tenant having a pet?

The reasonableness of a landlord refusing a tenant's request to have a pet can vary depending on several factors, including the specific circumstances of the property, and the landlord's policies.

Helpline FAQ, Unreturned keys.jpg
28 Sep 2023
Unreturned keys on check out day

If a tenant fails to return the keys, this is normally taken to mean they have not given up the tenancy and therefore can be open to lots of issues for the landlord, even if the tenant has actually moved out.

Helpline FAQ, Abandoned house.jpg
28 Sep 2023

If you encounter abandonment in an assured shorthold tenancy, follow our eight steps to appropriately handle the situation.

Helpline FAQ, rent arrears.jpg
28 Sep 2023
What methods can I use to recover rent arrears?

Recovering rent arrears in England typically involves following specific legal procedures to ensure that you have a lawful and fair process for collecting the overdue rent.

Helpline FAQ, Rent tribunal.jpg
28 Sep 2023
What is a Rent Tribunal?

A Rent Tribunal, also known as a Rent Board or Rent Commission, is a quasi-judicial body established by local or regional governments to address disputes and matters related to rental housing.

Helpline FAQ, Power of Attorney.jpg
28 Sep 2023
How does a Power of Attorney work?

In the event that a landlord dies or has mental incapacity, if a Power of Attorney (POA) has been set up, the person(s) named as the landlord’s POA can instruct on the landlord’s behalf.

Helpline FAQ, Rats.jpg
28 Sep 2023
Eradicating vermin in a rented property

The responsibility for eradicating vermin in a rented property is usually with the landlord, although it can vary depending on the specific circumstances and the cause of the vermin infestation.

Helpline FAQ, Section 13.jpg
28 Sep 2023
How to serve a Section 13 notice of rent increase

Section 13 of the Housing Act 1988 allows a landlord to raise the rent on a periodic assured or assured shorthold tenancy by giving the tenant a notice of increase in the prescribed form.

Helpline FAQ, Rental repossession.jpg
28 Sep 2023
How to start rental repossession proceedings

Starting rental repossession proceedings in England involves following specific legal procedures to regain possession of your rental property from a tenant who has breached the tenancy agreement or is in rent arrears.

Helpline FAQ, Written notice.jpg
28 Sep 2023
How should a tenancy notice be served?

There are two main types of notices that can be used for rental repossession: a Section 8 for tenancy breaches and Section 21 Notice for no-fault evictions. Following the correct steps to serve a notice legally is essential.

Helpline FAQ, Door handle.jpg
28 Sep 2023
When can a tenant change the locks?

Generally, tenants do not have the right to change locks without the landlord's consent but it's crucial that tenants have their statutory right to ‘quiet enjoyment’.

Load more