1. Speak to your agent first

As with any complaint, if you are unhappy with a company's service, you should first contact them about the problem.

This gives the agent a chance to put the situation right and is the fastest route to getting your complaint solved. All agencies must provide a complaints procedure for their business by law, ask them for a copy directly if you can not find it on their website.

It's best to put your complaint in writing and you should receive a response within 15 days. Keep copies of any correspondence and ask them to confirm:

  • Who is handling your complaint
  • What they propose to do to resolve it
  • How long it will take to resolve

2. Contact the independent redress scheme

It is a legal requirement for property agents to belong to a Government-approved independent redress scheme.

There are two schemes to look our for: The Property Ombudsman (TPO) and Property Redress Scheme (PRS) and most agents display which one they belong to on their website.

If your complaint has not been resolved by the agent, having been given a reasonable time to do so, then you should contact the redress scheme.

Redress schemes have the authority to ensure that the agent takes action to remedy any problem arising from a complaint. If the redress scheme supports your complaint, they can also impose that the agent grant you compensation.

The Property Ombudsman (TPO).jpg
The Property Ombudsman (TPO)

TPO is a not-for-profit independent company which has been providing consumers with a dispute resolution service since 1990.

Property redress scheme (PRS).jpg
Property Redress Scheme (PRS)

PRS were authorised by the Government in 2014 to provide an impartial service that considers a variety of complaints about property related issues.

3. Send your complaint to Propertymark

If neither the agent or independent redress scheme have provided a satisfactory outcome to your complaint then, provided the agent is one of our members, you can send your complaint to us. 

We will investigate complaints against our members where there is evidence that the agent has breached our conduct and membership rules.

Are they a member? 
  • Failure to provide a complaints procedure
  • Misuse of client money
  • Failure to uphold high standards of ethical and professional practice
  • Failure to protect and promote clients’ interests
  • Conflicts of interest
  • Failure to answer correspondence
  • Any act of dishonesty or conviction of a criminal offence
  • Anyone who is not a member
  • Tenancy deposit disputes
Proeprtymark Complaint Form
Complaint form

To make a complaint against one of our members, please complete and return our Complaint Form.

Estate agent shaking hands with couple
Client Money Protection applications

Client Money Protection (CMP) is a scheme that reimburses landlords and tenants should an agent misappropriate rent or other client funds.

White coat cropped.jpg
Professional standards

We promote higher professional standards and the law demands. Propertymark members voluntarily commit to providing exceptional service and to ensure they are at the forefront of the industry.

Couple looking in estate agent's window
Property logos explained

Logos displayed in branch windows and on websites represent various schemes which that particular agent belongs to. Some schemes are a legal requirement and others are voluntary, so what do they actually mean?

What happens next?

The next steps will depend on whether the complaint leads to a disciplinary hearing. Some cases do not require a hearing and you will be informed of the outcome in writing. In cases with sufficient evidence, a disciplinary hearing with an independent tribunal panel will take place.

Latest disciplinary report

Disciplinary hearings take place when serious breaches of our conduct and membership rules occur A tribunal will consider the case and will impose sanctions if the member is found to have breached our rules.

18 Apr 2024
Mr Mishantha Liyanage (Appealed)

An Appeal Tribunal of Propertymark Limited was convened on 18 April 2024 to consider the appeal of Mr Mishantha Liyanage following a Disciplinary Tribunal held on 12 Decemeber 2023.

View more reports