Person at Door


If you’re thinking about letting out your home, there are a number of important factors to consider before putting it up for rent. We’ve put these tips together to ensure you understand your responsibilities as a landlord, know how to protect your property, and keep your tenants happy; dealing with any issues that may arise.

Do your research

First things first, get to know your market. Take a look at similar homes to yours in the same area and find out how much they are being let per month. If your rent is set too high, or too low, prospective tenants will steer clear.

Think about your target demographic and consider who your property would be suitable for - young families, students, single professionals? A letting agent may be able to help advise with this. Once you’ve done your homework, set a competitive price and aim to keep it filled at all times to minimise rental voids.

Prepare your property

Before you make your property available to rent, you’ll need to decide whether to let the house as furnished or unfurnished. Personal belongings or items of value should be removed from the property, and be sure to clear out anything that is old and tired, not fit for purpose, or an ‘acquired taste’.

A property that offers a blank canvas is often more appealing to prospective tenants. Neutral colours will allow renters to picture themselves living in the space, and will also make the property easy to maintain at each check-in/check-out. And don’t forget the exterior of the house—general sprucing of outdoor spaces will make the property more attractive to renters. 

Think about hiring professionals to give your home a deep clean. Professional cleaners will scrub everything from the windows to the oven—they’ll even get down behind radiators.

Make copies of any keys that a tenant may need for windows and doors, or for gas and electricity meters. It’s also a good idea to dig out instruction manuals for the boiler, alarm system, cooker, and any white goods, so the tenant has them to hand as soon as they move in.

Sort out the insurance

It is very important that your current buildings and contents insurer is made aware of your intention to let your property, as your policy will probably need to be amended.

Consider arranging landlord insurance, which will cover any financial losses connected with your rental property. Whilst landlord insurance isn’t a legal requirement, it is advisable as the policy will protect the building, your tenants and your investment as a wholesome policy will also pay out if your tenant misses their rent payments.

Know your responsibilities

The decision to rent your home will mean that you go from being a homeowner and occupier to a landlord, and with your new status, comes great responsibility.

In the first instance, check that your mortgage allows you to let out your property, as some agreements contain caveats to prevent homes from being rented. If you are unsure, speak to your mortgage lender and they will be able to advise you accordingly.

Being a landlord is a 24/7 job, so be prepared to receive calls from your tenant at any time during the day or night, as many issues will need immediate attention (such as a gas leak, or broken boiler for example). You will be accountable for all repairs and maintenance and taking care of refurbishment of the interior and exterior of the property when required.

Learn the legal stuff

When it comes to being a landlord, there are more regulations to comply with than you can shake a stick at. To put it into perspective, there are currently around 145 laws that landlords need to adhere to when letting a property.

Landlords are expected to carry out credit and right to rent checks in line with immigration laws (in England), take and protect deposits, have all essential paperwork in place, and ensure the property is fit for habitation and safe for your tenant—that’s just for starters.

The safety of your tenants is very important, so you must also arrange a Gas Safety check every year. It’s also a good idea to make sure all electrical appliances and wiring are tested regularly too. Finally, it goes without saying that your rental property should be fitted with smoke alarms on every floor and carbon monoxide detectors where necessary.

question icon

Read this guide to learn more about landlords' safety responsibilities


By law, your property needs to have an EPC (energy performance certificate), and it needs to be Band E or above. You won't be able to market the property unless you reach this standard and have a certificate to prove it, so get it sorted as soon as possible - they're valid for 10 years.

Tenants must be provided with a rental information pack, which varies depending on whether you’re in England, Northern Ireland or Wales. Landlords must order an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) which contains information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs, and recommendations for tenants about how to reduce energy use and save money.

It is also important that you understand your financial responsibilities, and how and when to pay Income Tax and National Insurance. All landlords are subject to paying Income Tax if the revenue from the property exceeds £2,500 per annum.

You can find more information about your legal responsibilities on the website.

Make finding a tenant easier

If you’re looking for a tenant and not sure where to start, why not speak to your local ARLA Propertymark letting agent today. An agent will undertake the reference and credit checks (and right to rent checks if you're property is in England) on potential tenants to ensure everything is reliable. If you choose not to use an agent you will need to do this yourself.

Choose the right agent

Living Room

If you plan to use a letting agent, it is important to use an expert who follows best practice, meets all requirements of the profession, and works to industry standards. Propertymark Protected letting agents are experienced and trained professionals who work to a code of practice in order to help landlords manage their homes.

Not only will an agent advertise your property for you, deal directly with the tenant on your behalf and complete all relevant paperwork, but an ARLA Propertymark protected agent will also have Professional Indemnity insurance, and you and your money will be covered by our Client Money Protection, giving you peace of mind throughout the letting process.

You can search for your local ARLA Propertymark agent using our Find an Expert tool.




Eviction do’s and don’ts

To begin the eviction process and seek possession, you must follow strict procedures in order to have a tenant removed from your property. We have compiled a list of do’s and don’ts. Read more...

laptop glasses

Landlord tax considerations

When it comes to being a responsible landlord, the most importance must be put on the safety of tenants. There are around 150 laws now that apply to landlords when they come to letting a property. Read more...

 Find an Expert

Find an Expert

Search for a Propertymark Protected expert to ensure your property is in safe and reliable hands. More info...