Client Money Protection (CMP)

We want to raise standards in the industry and our Client Money Protection (CMP) scheme is an integral part of this. The scheme reimburses landlords, tenants and other clients should an agent misappropriate their rent, deposit or other client funds.

It is mandatory for all Principal, Partner or Director (PPD) member firms to have CMP for every company that acts as an agency in property (including chattels auctioning) and handles client money or uses a third-party to oversee client money. 

If you're a PPD, you will be automatically enrolled onto the Propertymark CMP scheme when you become a member, unless you have CMP with the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the Law Society or the Law Society of Scotland.

What are the benefits?


Protects your clients' money building trust and confidence with your clients


Sets yourself apart from other agencies that do not have CMP.


Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) will offer a £1.50 discount per tenancy deposit if you have CMP through our scheme.

How much does it cost?

The standard 2020 levy is £385. However, the final payable levy will depend on the amount of 'other client funds' held in your client account. Upon receipt of the Accountant’s Report or The Letting Partnership's HealthCheck, we will determine the applicable levy as covered in the table.

What are 'other client funds'?

'Other client funds' is all the client money held in your client accounts except for tenancy deposits which are protected by a Government-authorised Tenancy Deposit Protection scheme. 

If you hold £13 million or more in ‘Other Client Funds’ and belong to the Propertymark Large Corporate CMP scheme, please contact the Membership Documents Team to discuss the CMP levy and additional information that may be required to ensure continued CMP protection. 

'Other client funds' balance at last Accountant’s Report:

CMP Levy

Under £500,000


£500,000–£1 million


£1 million–£3 million


£3 million–£7 million


£7 million–£13 million


Help spread the word

Since May 2015, it has been a legal requirement for letting agents to display fees, details of the redress scheme they belong to, and membership of a client money protection scheme where appropriate. Display your CMP certificate in your office to show your clients that their money is protected.

We rely on members to help raise public awareness around the benefits of CMP and have designed a leaflet that explains why consumers should seek agents who have CMP. You can order printed copies of the leaflet to use in your new instruction marketing from the online shop. More info...

Frequently Asked Questions

Doesn't my professional indemnity insurance cover client money?

There is an element of fidelity bonding in professional indemnity insurance policies, but this only provides you with protection should your staff misappropriate client funds. A CMP scheme can provide the public with protection should the agent do so.

Do you accept Client Money Protection from any other providers?

Not all schemes provide the same levels of cover to your clients that ours does, nor do they necessarily qualify you for a discount per tenancy deposit from the TDS. The only other scheme available which we can currently accept in lieu of our own is the one run by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

I have already paid for the NALS CMP scheme. Surely, I don’t need yours as well?

If you are a member of a Propertymark division, then NALS would not payout on any CMP claim. NALS relies on our members belonging to the Propertymark scheme. Their CMP scheme excludes members of our divisions.

You must, therefore, be a member of either the Propertymark CMP scheme or the RICS scheme.

What happens if I don’t pay my CMP Levy?

Late submission of documentation concerning professional indemnity insurance, accountant’s reports, and declarations, and late payment of the client money protection scheme levy may be pursued as a disciplinary matter. Such matters will be dealt with outside of the disciplinary procedures. In these circumstances, members may not have an opportunity to explain the reasons for their delay.

Late submission is likely to result in an automatic fine of up to £200 per breach of every separate requirement. Members who persistently fail to provide their documents will have their membership terminated.

How do I pay the Client Money Protection Levy?

You can pay the Client Money Protection Levy in the following ways:

  • By credit/debit card using our automated telephone line. Please call 0161 393 6256. Please use the transaction number on your invoice.
  • By BACS transfer. Please use these bank details, and quote your invoice number (it begins with the letter I) to enable us to trace the payment.
  • By cheque. Please make your cheque payable to "Propertymark Ltd" (please include a copy of your invoice), and send it to Document Regulation (CMP) at the address at the foot of this page. Please allow a week for cheques to arrive.

Should you have any queries, please call 01926 417 365.

Where can the public find out about the CMP scheme?

You can find information for the public about the scheme, about how to make a claim, and the CMP leaflet, here. 

The Property Ombudsman (TPOS) is asking for my CMP insurance policy number. Where can I find it?

There is no policy number. The CMP scheme is not an insurance policy, but a reimbursement scheme. For those companies in our CMP scheme TPOS will accept Propertymark in lieu of a policy number.

I don’t need Client Money Protection anymore. Can I get a refund for what I’ve already paid?

No, unfortunately, your payment is an annual levy charged at a flat rate per legal entity as a contribution to the cost of running the scheme. Once paid, your company’s clients will continue to have protection for their money which your company handled whilst you were in membership.