Drafting Tenancy Agreements and Terms of Business
Learn how best to amend tenancy agreements, surrender a tenancy and avoid loopholes in your drafted agreement. The course also looks at terms of business and how they should be drafted in order to protect you as much as possible.
Senior managers, negotiators and any other person drafting tenancy agreements as part of their job will benefit from this course. It is recommended that you have some knowledge of the Housing Act 1988 and contract law before you attend.
- Creation of a tenancy
- Unfair terms
- Consumer legislation and its effects on a tenancy agreement
- Particulars of the agreement
- Deposits and how they are held
- Tenant’s obligations and how clauses should be drafted
- Landlord’s obligations and the reasons behind them
- Service of Notices and what should be included
- Advanced points and clauses
- Types of Deeds which effect the original terms agreed
- Signatures and electronic signing
- Interpreting phrases and their use
- Specialist clauses including breaks, conditional rights and extensions
- General notices and when they should be utilised
- Assignment, Guarantees, early surrender and their treatment
- General terms including commissions, fees and when they become payable
- How to avoid loss of income and what clauses to include
- Landlord’s obligations and the reasons for enforcement
- Agent’s obligations and variations on the normal
- Exclusion clauses and method of drafting
- Legislation and the effect on the terms of business
- Consumer legislation
- Data protection, service of notices and other important provisions
Our popular virtual classroom offers a streamlined version of our face-to-face courses. You will benefit from a dedicated session with our expert trainer from the comfort of your home or office. To enable the course to run smoothly, we ask that you mute your microphone unless asking a question and keep your camera on.
With our face-to-face courses you’ll benefit from the full lesson plan plus an increased level of interaction and group work. This is your chance to participate in group discussions with our expert trainer and other delegates on the course.
Location: Propertymark Westminster, 4th Floor, 5-8 The Sanctuary, London, SW1P 3JS
Related courses and information
Dive into ASTs and learn how to recognise the different types of tenancies and the legal framework that applies for ending them.
This course provides an overview of residential letting essentials to help you feel more confident in your day-to-day role.
Our ASTs are compliant with the Tenant Fees Act and we offer alternative versions depending on the deposit scheme you are registered with alongside a no deposit option.
This course covers a multitude of topics which all offer practical solutions to important agency issues that have assumed an even greater importance during the pandemic.