This qualification is for letting agents
This qualification is suitable for those working or aspiring to work as a letting agent/negotiator, residential property manager or lettings/office administrator.
This qualification is available as a Level 3 qualification in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and Level 6 in Scotland.
Registration fee: £50 | Exam fees: £62.50 per exam
Cost: £300 (registration, four exams and certification)
For learning material pricing visit our learning resources page
What will be covered?
This qualification is made up of four units. For more information on each unit's learning outcomes open the panels below.
Understand the general concepts of law relevant to a property professional. It deals with the historical development of the law as well as current concepts, relevant statute and common law.
COM1 — Level 2/3 (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
SCOM1 — Level 5/6 (Scotland)
- Understand health and safety at work legislation and its relevance in and out of the workplace
- Understand the issues around keeping safe when visiting property and maintaining a secure system when dealing with keys
- Understand the general legal concepts relating to the provision of property services
- Understand the common law duties of agents and agents’ authority
- Understand the basic elements of the law of contract
- Understand the basic elements of liability outside the law of contract
- Understand the basic concepts of land law
- Understand the basic concepts of discrimination
- Understand the requirements of the data protection legislation
- Understand the requirements of the legislation dealing with the handling of money
This covers the law specific to the letting and management of residential property, including law and legislation regarding granting, administration, financial management and termination of the various types of residential tenancies.
RLPM2 — Level 3 (England / Wales)
NILPM2 — Level 3 (Northern Ireland)
SRLPM2 — Level 6 (Scotland)
- Understand the common elements of agreements to occupy residential properties
- Understand the requirements for regaining possession of let property and the protection available to the occupier
- Understand the statutory regulations of landlords and agents
- Understand the fitness standards for dwellings and the responsibility for repair
- Understand the requirements for safety in let property
- Understand the legislation relating to Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)
- Understand the legal requirements relating to tenancy deposits
- Understand consumer and business protection legislation applicable to residential letting
- Understand the key requirements of any transactional tax relating to residential property
- Understand the main criteria relating to the regulation of insurance based activities
You will learn how you should carry out the letting of a residential property, including one's actions when dealing with landlords & tenants, and the appropriate practices adopted for taking client's instructions, finding tenants and preparing appropriate documentation.
RLPM3 — Level 3 (England / Wales)
NILPM3 — Level 3 (Northern Ireland)
SRLPM3 — Level 6 (Scotland)
- Understand the main principles of agency terms and agent’s authority
- Understand the market appraisal process and the main factors affecting property rental value
- Understand the requirements for energy performance certificates for let property
- Understand the agent’s responsibilities to the landlord and applicants
- Understand the requirements for dealing with offers and the referencing of applicants and guarantors
- Understand the process of preparing tenancy documentation
- Understand the requirements of the housing benefit system and local housing allowance
- Understand the procedures to be followed when handing over a property to a new tenant
This unit covers the management aspect of residential property, including dealing with repair & maintenance, appointing contractors related to residential properties, problems associated with managing residential properties and end of tenancy duties.
RLPM4 — Level 3 (England / Wales)
NILPM4 — Level 3 (Northern Ireland)
SRLPM4 — Level 6 (Scotland)
- Understand client accounting procedures
- Understand the issues surrounding the management of repairs and maintenance of let property
- Understand the need for statutory consents relating to development
- Understand matters relating to breaches of tenancy agreements
- Understand the procedures to be followed when tenancy agreements are extended, renewed or terminated
- Understand the legal provisions covering issues relating to damages at the end of a tenancy
- Understand the legislation relating to environmental matters.
- Understand best practice guidelines relating to dispute resolution
Our common units make it easier for you to achieve associated qualifications in the future by carrying over previously achieved unit results. Learn more...
How long will it take?
We estimate it takes up to 12-18 months, or approximately 120 hours of study, to complete. From your registration date you will have 3 years to complete your qualification. If you fail to pass in this timescale you'll need to re-register.
How will I be assessed?
Each unit is assessed by a 20 question multiple-choice examination which must be answered within 30 minutes and a pass mark of 70% must be achieved.
What will I get?
You will receive a nationally recognised qualification at a level broadly equivalent to an A-Level or Higher level qualification in Scotland.